[c-nsp] Finding source of ISIS authentication failure

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 17:27:38 EDT 2013

Thanks!

On a related note, I'm stumped by the bewildering array of authentication
options and commands in 12.2. We know that some authentication problem
exists between this 7600 and another device but I don't know exactly what
it is.

We have the following on our interfaces:

isis authentication mode md5
isis authentication key-chain OurChain

It is my understanding that in IOS, this enables hello authentication only.
Not sure if that is even remotely correct.

We have the same thing under router isis:

router isis
 authentication mode md5
 authentication key-chain OurChain

I thought that this enabled area authentication in IOS, but I'm reading a
12.2 ISIS configuration guide that seems to indicate otherwise. So, I'm
confused. What exactly are we authenticating as currently configured? We do
not have an explicit area password or domain password set. It was my
assumption that the current config was doing hello and area authentication,
but the more I read, the more I realize that I don't know what IOS is doing
here.

Thanks!
John