[c-nsp] NTP message sent to 224.0.1.1, from interface 'NULL' (0.0.0.0).

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Jul 4 06:24:14 EDT 2013

Gert Doering wrote:
> > However, when I apply the following command to the interface:
> >
> > interface GigabitEthernet0/0
> >  ntp multicast ttl 1
> >
> > the routers again begins sending multicast NTP packets with ttl=28.
> >
> > What gives?
>
> "Don't do this, then"
>
> If you really care, open a TAC case, get a bug ID, and in 3-5 years, when
> that particular network and router has long been retired, receive the
> information that the particular IOS train that you are no longer using
> is now bugfixed.
>
> Or maybe they will just change the documentation.

I was writing here in the hope that it was I who was doing something
wrong, maybe did not read some what's new note.

This "ntp multicast ttl 1" has worked for me for years, I have some
Unix hosts configured as multicastclients. Now I'll have to change
them into broadcastclients. Not a big deal, but the surprise was
unpleasant.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru