[c-nsp] IRR Tool

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jul 5 16:16:49 EDT 2013

<hilmy.aa at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Once we apply this feature, I will never notify my UP
> > Links for any prefix to be advertise.
>
> Once you publish your own RPSL objects in one of the
> registries, your upstreams will generate/update their
> filter based on your objects.  Not all providers,
> however, use IRR data to build filters.  Some do no
> filtering at all, others require manual emails where you
> would request that they update their filters whenever
> you or one of your downstream customers announces a new
> prefix.

Right, not every ISP supports RPSL. Even for some that do,
their implementations are broken that many times, you have
to manually nudge them to go and beat up their policy
servers to push updates out to their routers (worse, still,
if they have quite a lag between policy changes in the route
registries and how often they run their local policy servers
against them).

RPKI will go a long way here, and I hope ALL operators will
(eventually) support this, or else what's the point. Of
course, local RPSL implementations and other IRR toolsets
will still be in use for operators that want to
automatically manage customer NLRI, but that is a by product
of RPKI anyway :-).

Mark.