[c-nsp] MPLS down to the CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 6 18:32:12 EDT 2013

On Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:19:07 PM Pshem Kowalczyk
wrote:

> There are ways of separating the 'core' MPLS from
> 'access' MPLS, with separate IGP domains. Cisco came up
> (well not really, but at least they made their devices
> compliant) with Unified MPLS
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/optical/ps57
> 26/ps11348/white_paper_c11-656286_ps6557_Products_White_P
> aper.html). This sort of setup scales very well for
> mobile backhaul, but also can be used for MetroE (L2)
> backhaul.

BGP Label Unicast is not new either, and is a viable option
when your MPLS-in-the-Access deployment gets too large (too
large is relative; the competency of boxes in the future may
make this an issue or non-issue).

This, however, doesn't necessarily provide separation
between core and access domains from an IP perspective. This
solves the scaling problem, but doesn't necessarily solve
the "I'm not sure about my MPLS network extending into the
customer premises" problem.

Mark.