[c-nsp] MPLS down to the CPE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 9 10:10:43 EDT 2013

On Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:43:20 AM Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Are the access rings in a separate area/level or
> running a separate igp, or how do you scale your
> backbone IGP please?

We kept them in the IS-IS level (i.e., L2-only), as Inter-
Area MPLS-TE is not supported without resorting to deploying
expanded loose hops for RSVP-TE sessions (p2p and p2mp).

The upside, simplicity and not running around
troubleshooting potential adjacency problems caused having
some routers being in the area a la L1 IS-IS.

The downside, NLRI changes in the IGP happening in one end
of the network would be "heard" by a router in another part
of the network that is not generally interested in them.

The weakest link was the smaller CPU's on the ME3600X, but
those are not that bad to be honest.

We opted to do that until the industry catches up with
scaling methods that aren't as complex as BGP Label Unicast.

Mark.