[c-nsp] MPLS down to the CPE

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Wed Jul 10 04:16:53 EDT 2013

> the different network islands are tied together using CsC over
> a common MPLS core.
You got me scared for a moment CsC would mean to run a separate
OSPF/LDP/BGP-ASN for each area and doing MP-eBGP between ASBRs within each
area(OptB) or between RRs in each area(optC) with core area/AS acting as a
labeled relay for ASBRs loopback addresses, though I believe by common MPLS
core you mean a single AS right please?

> At the ABR all of the L2VPN services are "stitched" since you are
> entering a different RSVP-TE/MPLS domain, the L3VPN
> configuration exists on these nodes with the access nodes using
> L2 pseudowires into virtual L3 interfaces.
I see, right that's a clever way to save some money by pushing the L3VPN
stuff to only a few powerful boxes with high-queue line cards and L3VPN
licenses. Though the PWHE -a setup where you can actually terminate the PW
into L3 interface on the same box was introduced to Cisco boxes only
recently so prior to that you'd have to have a separate box bridging the PW
to sub-int/serv-inst on a QinQ trunk where the L3VPN box would be connected
to.

I'm still confused about the TE part.
So I believe you are pushing PW directly into TE tunnels what gives you the
ability to balance the PWs around the ring as well as to use a backup tunnel
via the opposite leg of the circuit. So the TE tunnels are actually
terminated on the PWHE nodes right? Or do they actually continue into the
backbone area please?

adam