[c-nsp] Cisco trunk port startup delay

Shanawaz Batcha ismath.shaan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 20:32:30 EDT 2013

Hi Guys,

Question for you is how soon can we get a cisco trunk port (connecting to
some enterprise servers) to initialize and pass traffic.

From

interface GigabitEthernet4/40

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 104

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

end

With the above configuration, we were losing about 50 pings for an if-down
event

Enabling "portfast trunk" (no redundant connections), we lost somewhere
between 10 and 15 pings. Which is way better.

Running "switchport nonegotiate" to disable DTP gives me another ~2 seconds

Disabling inline power and "disabling lldp" gives me another ~1 or 2 seconds

We are still losing about 6 pings. Anything else people do/tune to get
quicker convergence if I may call it?

Regards,
Shan