[c-nsp] Cisco trunk port startup delay

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 18:00:59 EDT 2013

I would not encourage disabling STP at all, "portfast trunk" already
increases the chances of creating a loop, on the other hand it does allow
the port to transition to STP forwarding state immediately, so it should
have the same effect.

Given that the delay is due to the actual link down and likely re-ARP-ing,
the only option for further reduce the delay is to dual-home the servers,
preferably with a port-channel (etherchannel) such as 802.3ad LACP. That
will provide redundancy and sub-second failover if one member link goes
down or flaps.

Andras