[c-nsp] Cisco Router Suggestion

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Jul 21 08:32:52 EDT 2013

On 21/07/2013 12:54, Bikash Bhattarai wrote:
> Please help me to find cisco router to meet below requirements.
>
> STM-1 interface -- 2 (should be upgradable)
> 1Gig SFP internface -- 2 (should be upgradable)
> DS3 interface - 2
> Traffic 2 Gbps

Bikash,

You could get an asr1002x and plug in a 4-port STM1 SPA and a 2/4 port DS3 SPA.

The problem with this configuration is that once you add everything up, it
will turn out to be surprisingly expensive.  I reckon would cost just under
$60k based on the cisco global US$ list price.  Obviously, the retail price
would be a lot lower, but in my view this is still too expensive for a very
modest configuration.

If I were in your position, I would look at a C7200vxr/NPE-G2 from ebay for
the stm1/ds3 requirements, and get an asr1001 for the gigabit ethernet
requirements, giving:

- line rate gigabit ethernet at a reasonable cost
- enough capacity on the 7200 to give you line rate throughput on your
stm1/ds3 interfaces
- legacy interfaces are separated from your more modern interfaces
- significantly lower cost

Nick