[c-nsp] ME3800X/ME3600X/ME3600X-24CX/ASR903/ASR901 Deployment Simplification Feedback

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jul 21 10:47:38 EDT 2013

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 09:14:18 AM Mattias Gyllenvarg
wrote:

> +1 and I add a me3600x chassie to the mix of wet dreams.

To be honest, I'm not sure an ME3600X/3800X chassis (a la
6500/7600/ASR9000) would be possible for a couple of
reasons:

	- Internal conflicts within Cisco, where such a
	  chassis could cause issues with the ASR1013 team,
	  the ASR9006/9010 team, 6500/7600 teams, e.t.c.

	- If they make it a typical chassis with line cards
	  and or SIP carrier cards, it may work out to be as
	  pricey as the mainstream chassis' anyway.

Possible compromise, I wouldn't mind a big ME3600X/3800X
chassis with fixed ports/slots. So instead of having
removable line cards or carrier cards, it comes in various
rack units (6U, 12U, 21U, e.t.c.), filled full of ports.

Cisco could consider having a fibre-only and copper-only
variant, but my guess is any operator would likely take the
fibre-only chassis since they can deploy SFP-T copper-based
optics to support copper links.

I'm hoping making it a fixed (non-modular) chassis full of
Gig-E (and a few 10-Gig-E) ports should make it cheaper than
having a modularized chassis, and also keep other BU's
within Cisco at bay.

They could even keep things simple by having centralized
forwarding and integrated control planes (although if the
RAM on the control planes can be upgraded with regular RAM,
that would be a huge plus).

Cheers,

Mark.