[c-nsp] Cisco 6500 mounting with cables

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jul 22 05:18:26 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 08:37 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 01:34:40PM -0700, quinn snyder wrote:
>> i think you'll being to see futher enhancements to the platforms
>> (c6k, nexus) that will start to draw clear lines between the
>> positioning or 'general use case'. catalyst will continue to be
>> the campus platform, while nexus will be for the d/c.
>
> And *that* very much shows how much lack of understanding there is in
> product development.  There is not so much difference between "campus",
> "d/c" and "service provider" anymore - and the arbitrary product
> differenciation ("no, you can't have *that* feature which would make
> perfect sense to you, because that's only available on the other boxes
> [which, incidentially, lack 5 features that you need]") is really
> alienating customers.

+1 - drives me crazy. One of the reasons the 6500 was so very useful was
the "swiss army knife" approach, and this was the reason why many people
were irate at the 6500/7600 BU split - it seemed like an attempt to take
"SP" features away from "Enterprise" and vice-versa, which if you happen
to be *using* those features...

[As it happens, things didn't work out that way, as the BUs realised
what was in their own best interests, and we ended up with a situation
where they drifted about 1 metre apart, then... nothing. So, total waste
of time, money and energy, but customers and Cisco/shareholders]

Cisco have always delighted in producing crazy designs where you have 6
layers of kit (one from each BU!) when two would do just fine. It might
be more profitable for them, but I'll bet it's a deadweight loss for
society in the end.

> Join forces, build a sane product with a sane OS (which is not "classic
> monolithic IOS" and not "classic monolithic IOS on top of linux" either),

God, the OS. The very best 1991 has to offer...

Where is my templating, proper structured APIs, comment/annotate and
*proper* transactional commit/rollback? JunOS manages all these (bugs
and all, sigh) and yet Cisco seem convinced IOS/NX-OS are somehow
"comparable".

(Also, why is it taking >30 seconds to boot NO I DO NOT WANT DUAL SUP)