[c-nsp] ASR9k HSRP group reuse

Aivars aivars at ml.lv
Mon Jun 3 06:26:24 EDT 2013

  Hi,

  Recently I encountered HSRP problem on ASR9k and as far as I
  understand it is related to HSRP group reuse. My previous HSRP
  knowledge stated that group number only determines stanby IP MAC
  address and it can be resued as log as it is unique inside a
  broadcast domain. During the incident investigation I found
  Alexander Thuijs comment
  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2216914 about group reuse. I
  would like to understand the problem in detail. As far as I got it,
  when we use bridge domains, each NP has a MAC table. As soon as one
  of the groups fails over, NP gets a request do remove it and it is
  entirely removed even for another bridge domain. Did I get it right?
  Could someone please clarify HSRP group reuse un 9k? It would be
  nice to have this covered in configuration guide.

  Aivars