[c-nsp] 7204VXR reboots

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jun 8 08:18:32 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 12:26:44PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> > and given that there is
> > 15.0M, I have always questioned what use it is to have
> > support for *one* software platform in a special-case
> > IOS train, maintained by the BU inside Cisco that caused
> > the most annoyance of all of them (having a polite day
> > today).
>
> 12.2SR is also coded for the 7600. So it's the 7200 and 7600
> that this code is maintained for.

Well, I should have written "software *forwarding* platform", which the
7600 certainly isn't.

Now, I would have strongly liked to have the hardware-independent bits
of IOS to be the same across all platforms, abstracting the hardware
side well enough that features like "32 bit AS support" arrive on all
platforms at roughly the same time.

But since Cisco isn't willing/able to do that, I really do not see the
benefit in having a very-specific-hardware BU compile their IOS for a
single software forwarding platform, where it will get much less testing
than the mainline IOS which gets tested across all software forwarding
platforms.  And, as you have mentioned, SRC was full of shit, so why
even bother with SR* if I can have 12.4M/15.0M, which is *way* less buggy.

Plus, the 7600 BU is the stupid BU, and I'm not going to use anything that
comes from there, ever...  but that might be a personal thing.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de