[c-nsp] ipv6

Lobo lobotiger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 19:06:36 EDT 2013

Here is what we sort of followed:

  * Get your IPv6 block from your RIR; typically a /32 but we were able
    to negotiate a /28
  * Come up with a good IPv6 address plan; spend some good time on this
  * Enable IPv6 connectivity to your upstream and public peering
    connections along with BGP
  * Enable dual stack on your backbone and edge devices (routers) and
    decide which IGP you will use (OSPFv3 or ISIS)

At that point you should be able to ping via IPv6 from any backbone/edge
router to another.

With regards to the IP addressing scheme, we followed a breakdown of
assigning /34(s) to each market we're in (about 16).  Those market /34s
were then broken up into /48s to be handed out to our customers who in
turn will be able to break them down into /56s or /64s.  We chose /48s
because we deal with enterprise customers (no residential) and the
general rule (as per ARIN) is to give them a /48 block.  Even with this
rather "wasteful" allocation, we still will not come anywhere close to
chewing up our space in the coming decades.  :)

With regards to servers and IT related things, we've struggled in that
dept but we've managed to convince IT of the importance of at least
having a public DNS server with IPv6 access (dual stacked) for our beta
customers.

Still have lots to learn and we're really hoping to avoid any instances
of CGN if at all possible.

Jose