[c-nsp] Extranet MVPN and PIM Auto-RP

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Sun Jun 23 13:53:27 EDT 2013

<sarcasm> Wow, this feature must be REALLY widely deployed! </sarcasm>

I sort of got it working like below:

RPs:
	Advertising selves as RP for 224/4, advertising as Mapping Agents
Set-Top Box PE:
	Listening for PIM Auto-RP
Head End PE:
	SOURCES VRF configured to announce Loop100 as Auto-RP for /32, Mapping Agent
	RECEIVERS VRF configured to announce Loop200 as Auto-RP for /32, Mapping Agent
	Added "ip pim vrf RECEIVERS rp-address (SOURCES Loop100) SOURCE-ACL override"

It's actually joining and exporting the multicast group on a RECEIVERS data MDT just fine. In the RECEIVERS VRF on the head end PE it says the RP is "0.0.0.0" for that group. I also get a pile of "invalid RP" log entries... but it works okay

I'm not sure what kind of behaviour this is. Should this even work? I'd like to keep my current mVRF infrastructure but not have to manage all the RP mappings by hand on every single PE, but I'm not going to rely on it unless someone can confirm that it should be dependable (doubt it...).

Thanks
Ross