[c-nsp] REGEX tool?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Jun 25 16:35:47 EDT 2013

On 25/06/2013 20:44, Scott Granados wrote:
> Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a tool for creating and
> managing complex regular expressions?  I'm especially looking for a good
> way to generate / expand the members of a complex expression or to do a
> diff and generate a expression from that diff.  Any pointers would be
> most appreciated.  THis is for manipulating complex community
> environments.

This sort of thing is pretty hairy.  It's possible to do, but because cisco
implemented their own variant of regular expressions, you will need to find
a cisco-specific regexp optimiser.  If you can't find this, then you will
in theory need to write a cisco-regexp to nondeterministic finite state
automata converter.  Once you've converted to a FSA, you can play around
with standard tools and then convert back again.  No idea if there is any
code out there which will do this automatically, but there are plenty of
standard (i.e. perl) regexp optimisation libs available on the net.

Nick