[c-nsp] New Catalyst 6k chassis

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Thu Jun 27 08:29:56 EDT 2013

Am 6/27/13 12:36 PM, schrieb Tom Hill:
> I've been "told" that 880G will need a new Supervisor.
>
> 440G will be like RSP440 in the ASR9K: you will need dual SUP2T to
> take advantage of it. With a single Supervisor & the other changes,
> you'll have 220G per slot.
>
> (My understanding -- correct me if I'm wrong, please!)

I hope you're wrong, but I suppose that matches what I expected first :)

> When using SUP2T in 6513-E, you have 11 slots with 2x40G traces each
> (80G/slot, 880G total).

AFAIK, already in the old 6500 chassis there are already two extra traces for each slot to the backup fabric.
That's how you can have redundant sups, otherwise that wouldn't work.
Once new linecards with active/active Sup2T fabric are supported, you should also get 160G/slot even with
the old chassis. 2x2x40G

> In 6807-X their distribution is condensed to
> 5 slots with 4x40G traces each (160G/slot, 800G total) *but* the
> extra two are wired to the other supervisor, so you need to run
> active/active (a-la ASR9K).
>
> To get to 220G, you're looking at the higher SerDes frequencies on
> the fabric traces. What you get will depend on the (future) line
> cards you buy, I imagine:
>
> @55G = 110G/slot on single sup, 220G with dual sup (550G/1100G
> total) @110G = 220G/slot on single sup, 440G with dual sup
> (1100G/2200G total)
>
> To confuse it further, there are another four fabric traces in there
> that can't be utilised by SUP2T. That's where the new supervisor is
> needed, in order to then get to 880G/slot.

In theory the Sup2T switch fabric already has 28 fabric traces which can run at 110G each. (slide 24)
That would correspond perfectly to the 7 slots of the 6807-X with 4 traces each. (slide 17)
I don't know if the Sup2T has all these 28 traces available at the external connectors, but if so I
don't see why it would need a new sup for 880G/slot.

> I'm quite annoyed that there aren't any newer line cards announced
> that take advantage of faster SerDes rates (as your existing
> X6800/X6900 series line cards will not run any faster) but then I
> seem to recall 6500-E came a short while before PFC4/EARL8 was
> announced too.

Completely agree, it's really a pity there are not any new linecards announced.

Chris