[c-nsp] New Catalyst 6k chassis

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 27 10:01:38 EDT 2013

On 27/06/13 13:38, Dale W. Carder wrote:

> Thus spake Jeff Kell (jeff-kell at utc.edu) on Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:19:31PM -0400:
>> On 6/26/2013 11:10 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
>>> It just seems like the new 6k is positioned to poach prospective
>>> customers from the (arguably) higher-margin Nexus 7k product line.
>>
>> Now that you mention the "N-word" I have to ask (as we're looking into a
>> deployment)...  how much of it is ready for prime time, and feature
>> compatible with the Catalysts?
>
> This clearly depends on the features you use today on the c6k.  We did a
> cpoc and found that the n7k w/ m2's did everything we do today with c6k
> and then some.  YMMV, but test, test, test.

Agreed. We use a pair of N7k in a collapsed P/PE for L3VPN, MVPN, v4/v6
and OSPF/BGP and found them to have parity with c6k. They're quite nice
actually, though I have my concerns about the long-term commitment of
the BU to certain features that might be considered "SP-grade" if you
turn your head and squint.

Baffled that they removed the CMP on later SUPs though; seemed like a
seriously good feature, and it's very hard to believe customers didn't
want it....