[c-nsp] nexus logging L3 ACL and mac source ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jun 28 07:19:32 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:58:50AM +0100, Tóth András wrote:
> Manually looking at the MAC/ARP table is not flawed much more than relying
> on ACL logging to print out the MAC because if it comes through a router,
> both will display the router MAC anyway.

That's the misunderstanding, that the MAC/ARP table will help you find
the router MAC - it won't, unless you already know the router it's coming
from.

More verbose example:

 sender PC   ---------- Router A  ----eth---- Router B
 IP 1.1.1.1             10.0.0.1              10.0.0.2

(with a "large enough" ethernet, having more than just A and B connected
to it)

In router B, I have an ACL that says, for example

  deny tcp any any eq 23 log-input

so I can see if someone fingers my routers.  The ACL logs

  "source = 1.1.1.1, destination = 10.0.0.2, source interface = facing A"

so how, exactly, do I find that the packet came in from Router A?

For bonus points, assume that B has multiple possible paths to 1.1.1.1,
so assuming "it will come from the router where I would send the response
packet to" does not hold.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de