[c-nsp] IOS XR and router rib rump always-replicate

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Mar 1 01:44:27 EST 2013

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013, John Neiberger wrote:

> Entries for prefixes that are in the access list look like you would
> expect and those PIM joins succeed. So what exactly does "rump
> always-replicate" do? Am I right that it's basically only allowing the
> prefixes in the ACL to be used for multicast RPF?

Sounds plausable. XR and IOS works differently when it comes to RPF for
multicast. This command could be workaround for that.

Proper way (at least it was in XR 3.6 - 3.8 time) is to put multicast
sources into BGP address-family multicast. By default, if the source is
only in BGP af-unicast then it's not considered valid for multicast RPF
check in XR.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se