[c-nsp] Upgrading 12K IOS XR from 3.6 to 4.2

Grzegorz Janoszka Grzegorz at Janoszka.pl
Tue Mar 5 08:44:49 EST 2013

On 05-03-13 14:01, ibogzipper iboge wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm in the process of upgrading 12K IOS XR from 3.6 to 4.2. But according
> to cisco upgrade path its seems to be from 3.6 -> 3.9 , 3.9 - > 4.2 (
> http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/index.html#XR12000) .
> therefore i'm wondering that whether i can do turboboot . but there is no
> reference regarding the minimum rommon required to load the 4.2 IOS XR in
> turboboot ( min required is 1.24) . Also to upgrade the rommon there is no
> package available on the download section ( archive also doesn't have
> package)  .
>
> Anyone having previous experience on 3.6 - > 4.2 upgrade ?

As far as I remember you may need to repartition in order to the the
upgrade and/or upgrade your flash. We didn't do as big step as you plan
to do, and indeed the intermediate upgrade to 3.9 may be necessary.
Please check the Cisco upgrade procedure, they are very good in
describing what you can and what you can't. The rommon upgrades are in
the fpd package, it is also very well described in Cisco docs.

Please note some important SMU's for 4.2, some of them are reboot SMU's.

--
Grzegorz Janoszka