[c-nsp] Sup720 software forwarding

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Mar 11 02:18:21 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 04:15 -0600, William McCall wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 09:57 AM, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> > Is there a way to rate-limit this kind of punting? Standard "mls
> > rate-limit" doesn't seem to have anything useful, unless I'm just too
> > tired to see it.
>
> Looks like CoPP might do it in this case (I want to be more certain, but
> time constraints make it prohibitive to lab up right now).

We'll try that in a test-setup. The device in question was actually
using a CoPP profile but not a very strict one. We tried disabling it
and saw no improvement, but that was of course expected. :-)

If the punting is only for logging then discarding the packets is okay.

But if they need to be software forwarded it's worse. The MAC flapping
was the only hint that something was wrong, and I had not expected MAC
flapping to make a Sup720 punt packets. If CoPP would discard traffic
I'd rather have the sup forward what it can until I can find a fix.

--
Peter