[c-nsp] BGP Route Dampening

Calin C. calin.chiorean at secdisk.net
Tue Mar 12 09:41:43 EDT 2013

Hello,

Back to your original question, I can tell you my own experience :)
I'm fighting with Provider_not_to_be_named_here for more than one year now to change their BGP Dampening policy (at least to fine tune parameters if not completely disable that feature).

The situation is that in case of a dampened prefix, we know exactly what problems we have, call the provider L1 support (for which sometimes words like "bgp dampening" means some out-space alien language) and they promise to forward this case to L3 support. Guess what?  Until the L3 support have a look, the prefix is back on RIB and in the words of Gert Doering, seen in some earlier e-mails, "we can't see anything so there is no problem"...

So, I without a very good engineer-to-engineer support from provider, I would avoid this feature as much as possible.
Providers sustain that they need to protect their network, but I think there are better solutions with some engineering.

Cheers,
Calin

---- On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:23:44 +0100 Ahmed Hilmy<hilmy.aa at gmail.com> wrote ----