[c-nsp] tcpdump-style debugging on 6500/7600

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Thu Mar 14 12:38:38 EDT 2013

Hi,

I saw there was already a discussion concerning that topic, but 5 years old:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/78543
Is there maybe some new tcpdump-style debugging feature available to
provide such functions beside the suggested "debug ip packet"?

I am looking for such situations:

1) I like to view traffic on a certain physical interface or switched
vlan. I would like to see all packets and not a specific protocol or IP
range.
As far as I see I cannot specify an interface in an ACL but the "debug ip
packet" only allows ACLs for filtering as far as I see.

2) I like to debug an IP connection and limit to a certain amount of
packets (like "show me the next 20 packets from/to host x.x.x.x").
Can you tell me what bandwidth or pps I have to take into consideration to
avoid overload ?

To understand better what I do before typing it in on a 10G+ box:
"debug ip packet ..." redirects the packets to the Management CPU and
everything filtered with an ACL leads into only packets matching ALC are
forwarded to the CPU, everything else is handled by the DFC/CFC+PFC only
like usual.
Correct ?

Im looking for a way that works without exporting stuff to another box and
low risk to overload CPU (live environment).
Hardware in my case are several Sup720-3B, Sup720-3BXL or Sup2T with 67xx
linecards.
If there are special software revisions needed, please let me know.

kind regards
Rolf Hanßen