[c-nsp] "speed nonegotiate" command under optical transceiver configuration

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 07:00:57 EDT 2013

I found a good document describing "speed nonegotiate" command:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1040549

First of all, the name of the command seems to be as misleading as
possible :) It does not negotiate port speed. It should be "link
nonegotiate" or something similar. Looks like it's available only in
case of optical ports and sent information is flow-control parameters,
remote fault information and duplex information.

As I understand, those checks are implemented on Cisco gear only. For
example if I set "speed nonegotiate" on port Gi2/2 on switch port(in
other words it operates as non-Cisco optical port):

!
interface GigabitEthernet2/2
 speed nonegotiate
end

..and port Gi4/1 has default configuration:

!
interface GigabitEthernet4/1
end

..then port Gi2/2 is "connected" while Gi4/1 is "notconnect" which
makes sense as Gi2/2 is not expecting information negotiated during
link negotiation.

regards,
Martin