[c-nsp] tcpdump-style debugging on 6500/7600

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Mar 15 09:31:25 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 14:20 +0100, "Rolf Hanßen" wrote:
> just tried out, all ends with:
> %SPAN-5-PKTCAP_STOP: Packet capture session 1 ended after the
> specified time, 0 packets captured
>
> edge1-dus1#sh monitor session 1 detail
> Session 1
> ---------
> Type                   : Capture Session
> Description            : -
> Source Ports           :
>     RX Only            : None
>     TX Only            : None
>     Both               : None
> Source VLANs           :
>     RX Only            : None
>     TX Only            : None
>     Both               : None

You need to specify something to capture just like for at normal SPAN
session. Something like this:

monitor session 2 type capture
 source vlan 120 both
 filter access-group span-test
!

or maybe:

monitor session 2 type capture
 source interface GigabitEthernet1/1 rx
 filter access-group span-test
!

> Source/Destination Ports/vlans means the interfaces that take part in
> the capturing or the interfaces used for exporting capture data (I am
> missing the "any" keyword here) ?

It's the interface/VLAN from which you want to capture. Data isn't
exported, it's stored locally.

--
Peter