[c-nsp] Weird 6500 VSS + VPLS ARP problem

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Fri Mar 15 10:11:43 EDT 2013

Hi,

Short update for those interested:

> The problem is in the ARP traffic. The plain 6500 sends an ARP request to the VSS side, which receives it but doesn't send a reply back over VPLS.

And it turns out that this happens because the VSS doesn't learn the MAC addresses from packets coming in over VPLS. So it doesn't know it should send the ARP reply back over VPLS.

Why adding static ARP entries helped here yesterday is a mystery to me. Today it doesn't... Probably has something to do with the VSS remembering stuff on a active/passive switchover.

Is there anybody who has deployed c6500+Sup2t+VSS+VPLS?

Cheers,
Sander