[c-nsp] Cisco to support flow spec?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Mar 21 16:30:46 EDT 2013

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Scott Granados wrote:

> Just a general question for the group.  Has there been announcements of
> Cisco supporting BGP Flowspec in IPV4 and IPV6 on any of their
> platforms?  My understanding is that it is not yet supported but
> wondered if there was any update to this.

The last I heard (in the past month) was that this was a 2014 roadmap
item.  I don't if it's EC'd for a specific version yet, nor do I know what
platforms will be supported.  My guess would be ASR9K/1K, Nexus 7K, maybe
the CRS, 6500/Sup2T and 7600.

That's better than the "We don't support BGP Flowspec" answer I got a year
or so ago.  When I explained that Cisco co-authored RFC 5575, they seemed
to soften their stance a bit ;)

It would also be great if Flowspec support on the ASAs was planned as
well, since they'd make for handy Flowpsec triggers if you're in a Cisco
shop.  Also desirable would be compatibility with Juniper's
implementaiton.

jms