[c-nsp] Swap hsrp with vrrp in mixed physical/vmware environment?

Alex Pressé alex.presse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 16:13:52 EDT 2013

I perhaps didn't do as much reading regarding swapping HSRP for VRRP.
Nothing broke, Server 2008 and 2003 environment with some Novell. And
a few hundred XP/Win7 users.

That was on an all IPv4 network though.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM, David Hubbard
<dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com> wrote:
> So this should be fun; I need to swich from HSRP to
> VRRP to facilitate bringing in a second vendor's
> hardware to interoperate.  We run ipv4 and
> ipv6 (static assignments) and the VLANs are a mix
> of physical servers along with vmware guests on
> Cisco UCS with the fabric interconnects in end-host
> mode.  Physical and vmware guest OS's are mostly
> linux with a very small number of Windows.
>
> I've read that at least on the ipv4 side, many
> Windows servers will not accept the gratuitous arp
> when vrrp is brought up so they'll just sit there
> happily talking to the dead hsrp MAC.  I can't find
> much of any info on how they'd deal with the change on
> the ipv6 side.  Not a huge deal either way since
> the Windows stuff is minimal but would like to go
> in knowing what to expect and what needs to be done.
>
> On the linux side, I'm pretty sure it will accept the
> arp and update the ipv4 default gateway mac; at least
> it does when testing MITM attacks.  Would love to
> hear real world experience with this though.  For
> ipv6, I can't find much on what it does if its
> previously learned router's link local address goes
> unreachable, if it will replace the neighbor table
> entry with the new vrrp advertised entry, do a
> solicitation on its own, etc.
>
> I'd greatly appreciate any input, thanks,
>
> David

Alex Presse
"How much net work could a network work if a network could net work?"