[c-nsp] ASR1004 and NAT limitation?

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Fri Mar 22 14:25:26 EDT 2013

Pete,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

On Fri Mar 22, 2013 at 06:26:14PM +0100, Pete Lumbis wrote:
> My guess is the NAT configuration is actually exceeding TCAM on the ESP
> that is installed. You can take a look at "show platform hardware qfp
> active tcam resource-manager" to see the TCAM utilization.

Well, the interesting thing is that this doesn't show anything getting near
to "full":

router#show platform hardware qfp active tcam resource-manager usage
QFP TCAM Usage Information

80 Bit Region Information
--------------------------
Name                                : Leaf Region #0
Number of cells per entry           : 1
Current 80 bit entries used         : 0
Current used cell entries           : 0
Current free cell entries           : 0

160 Bit Region Information
--------------------------
Name                                : Leaf Region #1
Number of cells per entry           : 2
Current 160 bits entries used       : 37
Current used cell entries           : 74
Current free cell entries           : 4022

320 Bit Region Information
--------------------------
Name                                : Leaf Region #2
Number of cells per entry           : 4
Current 320 bits entries used       : 0
Current used cell entries           : 0
Current free cell entries           : 0

Total TCAM Cell Usage Information
----------------------------------
Name                                : TCAM #0 on CPP #0
Total number of regions             : 3
Total tcam used cell entries        : 74
Total tcam free cell entries        : 524214
Threshold status                    : below critical limit

> If you have a
> lab box I would expect your configuration could be copy/pasted into it to
> see the same problem and you could try to test config changes there. I
> would start by seeing if removing the deny in the NAT route-map makes a
> difference.

I guess the thing to do is to try adding back in some additional NAT rules
and see which of the TCAM regions increases rapidly towards "full".

I don't currently have a spare ASR1k for the lab, but as a result of this
issue I'm trying to source one to be able to carry out some further testing.

Many thanks,

Simon