[c-nsp] Cisco to support flow spec?

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Sun Mar 24 14:01:04 EDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Scott Granados <scott at granados-llc.net> wrote:

> Well, one would hope it would be compatible with the JunOS implementation since in theory it's standards based.:)  I know though that vendors can "interpret standards differently though.
>
> I would like to see this implemented so one could use something like an Arbor networks device populate filters automatically across both C and J's devices.
>
> Your thoughts about an ASA implementation are also on the mark.

There are some better ideas how to use some standard-based protocols to
do some useful work, and signal it over the network. Stay tuned for
announcements within 6-9 months.

BGP FlowSpec is useful, missing from Cisco platforms, but operational
experience from real network shows, that it is simply not widely
adopted even when available. Implementations from three competing
vendors are not compatible up to spec BTW.

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
 you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
 about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net