[c-nsp] Number of QoS policies question

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Fri Mar 29 11:24:39 EDT 2013

Hi,

	I have about 1200 simultanious PPPoE sessions terminating on a 7201.
Currently I rate limit my subscribers at the CPE side, but lately I am
wondering if it might be better to maybe also have rate limits also
enforced at the 7201. I say that because lately there have been DDoS
against a particular customer (DNS reflection attacks) and although our
core can handle it, an intermediate link pointing to the customer
cannot, resulting in brief outages or very high latency for other
subscribers who are also carried thru this intermediate link. The
subscribers in question receive up to 6mbps service, and I certainly can
put into their radius profile the requisite preambles to effect their
subscribed service policies. My question is simply one of platform
limitations and whether it would be wise practice to have 1200 some odd
rate limiters all in effect at once? I don't need to sort and pick thru
their traffic to prioritize anything, just enforce a maximum rate which
will drop traffic above that mark.

Mike-