[c-nsp] Left-field trivia questions...

Painting, Stuart Stuart.Painting at TheAA.com
Thu May 2 03:45:27 EDT 2013

"Carriage return at the password prompt" is indeed an ACS feature (at
least as of ACS 5.3). Pretty much the first thing I did when installing
ACS was to switch off the feature, for two reasons:

1. "Telnet change password" is, as its name suggests, only available via
telnet. Since we wanted to encourage people to use SSH, offering a
telnet-only feature seemed like a bad idea.

2. Some of our user authentication is via Active Directory, and I didn't
fancy testing whether AD integration in ACS was good enough to handle
password changes.

Incidentally, any news on when ISE will be getting TACACS support? Or
has
development of that product ceased as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of
Jeff Kell
Sent: 01 May 2013 23:28
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Left-field trivia questions...

(1) Is it just me, or has cisco-nsp been spitting out ancient email
messages for the last couple of days?  I've gotten emails dating back to
2010, and it's not just the current timestamps, the embedded "On month
day, year, so-and-so wrote..." is also old.

(2)  As my equipment this week has started spitting out the stale TACACS
"Password is about to expire" messages (it's that time again), I have
this fleeting memory in my head from years ago that you used to be able
to "change" your password when logging in by some magic... like just
doing carriage return at the password prompt, and it would then prompt
you for the old and new passwords.  Again, it was years ago, and I seem
to remember this on a CatOS switch (not IOS), and we may have been
running Cisco ACS at the time...  Ring any bells?  or is it just cobwebs
in my head?  :)

Jeff