[c-nsp] Spanning Tree Instances

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Thu May 2 08:39:43 EDT 2013

Thus spake Leigh Harrison (lharrison at convergencegroup.co.uk) on Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:48:06PM +0000:
> Hello all,
>
> We have run into an issue on a 3750 switch where it has run out of spanning tree instances.
>
> Is this a limitation of PVST or is it a limitation of the switch?  I can't seem to find good clarity anywhere.  I have some 6509's and nexus 7k's and I'm wondering if they're going to suffer from the same fate...

It's a limitation of the switch.  I think in the data sheets for each
product you will find the number of supported instances.  The number of
instances is significantly higher for cat6k and n7k.

Also just take a look to see if you can get away with MST depending on your
topology and expectations.

Dale