[c-nsp] BGP Cease notifications with Graceful Restart

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed May 22 02:24:32 EDT 2013

On Tue, 21 May 2013, John Neiberger wrote:

> the 7600, which the CRS immediately recognized, but the CRS continued to
> use those BGP routes until the neighbor's graceful restart timer expired.

It's my experience that Cisco has a GR implemention that leaves some to be
desired on a lot of platforms. I have escalated this several times to no
avail.

A 7600 will advertise itself as GR capable even if there is a single RP,
and the BU didn't feel the need to implmement "bgp graceful-restart
helper-only" even after several requests.

So in our network, 7600 have no graceful restart configured. Please talk
to your account team and ask them to talk to the BU and get them to fix
this.

Desired behaviour:

On a dual RP system, advertise yourself as GR capable.
On a single RP system, only do GR "helper".

Either auto detect this or make it configurable.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se