[c-nsp] Terminating lots of double-tagged vlans

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Thu May 23 09:25:10 EDT 2013

On Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 12:57:05PM -0700, Bruce Pinsky wrote:
> Simon Lockhart wrote:
> > I'm working on a project which uses GPON to connect tens of thousands
> > of properties in a fibre-to-the-home environment. Each property will
> > be handed off to me as a double-tagged vlan, one per property.
> > Obviously I don't want to manually create tens of thousands of
> > subinterfaces on a router, and I'm sure there's a better way of doing
> > this.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_ieee_802.1q.html#wp1027258

Well, I started down this route in the lab, and all was looking promising for
the first ONT, running IPv4, and terminating onto an ASR1k.... IPv6 didn't
work, and a 2nd ONT wouldn't work.

Then I found the caveat in the documentation - "Only PPPoE is supported on
ambiguous subinterfaces. Standard IP routing is not supported on ambiguous
subinterfaces."

PPPoE isn't going to work in our environment, as the ONT won't do it, and
we're not mandating the use of a CPE router beyond the ONT (the user could
plug their PC direct into the ONT).

Is there any other way to make "Standard IP routing" work on ambiguous
subinterfaces - i.e. using the "encapsulation dot1q 101 second-dot1q any"
configuration syntax?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart |   * Server Co-location * ADSL * Domain Registration *
   Director    |  * Domain & Web Hosting * Connectivity * Consultancy *