[c-nsp] IOS XR 4.3.0 or 4.3.1

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu May 23 16:22:14 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:59 -0500, Blake Dunlap wrote:
> The problem with the wait and see approach is it is a tragedy of the
> commons approach. You're just outsourcing the effort to the "cloud"
> and hoping others are more adventurous than you are. Eventually
> critical mass is reached, and then even older code versions have the
> bugs, they last longer, and code quality gets even worse, and you
> can't just jump to newer code for the fixes, because they don't exist.

My guess is that this would make it sufficiently easier for newcomers to
differentiate themselves on code quality, thus making the market solve
the problem. It is my understanding that one or two network vendors
started this way. I wouldn't agree that is has "tragedy of the commons"
elements to it.

There are two reasons to upgrade: new features and bug fixes. If you
don't need the features of newer code and if none of the published bugs
on some older release affect you then stay on the older release. All new
releases and especially those with new features tend to introduce new
bugs.

Just my 2 cents of course. :-)

--
Peter