[c-nsp] Catalyst 6506 continually rebooting after mls cef maximum-routes ip change

Vinny_Abello at Dell.com Vinny_Abello at Dell.com
Thu May 30 14:20:03 EDT 2013

Someone offlist had me check the config-register of the SP and sure enough it was set to 0x42 instead of 0x2102. He told me he had that happen before so I will correct this and give it another try. Just replying to my own post in case this helps anyone in the future.

-Vinny

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Abello, Vinny
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 11:27 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] Catalyst 6506 continually rebooting after mls cef maximum-routes ip change

Hello,

I've got quite a few Catalyst 6500 series switches kicking around, many of which are carrying full routes, so I recently started upping the maximum IPv4 routes on the Sup720-3BXL from 512k to 768k. This worked fine across all switches I've done so far except one. I had this odd behavior where after I rebooted the switch, a show mls cef maximum-routes still showed the default values and in addition it was indicating in that output that the switch would be rebooted within x amount of time, which it did... over and over in the same pattern. It would come up and still be at the default values and state it will be rebooting again in a few minutes. I reverted back to the default values and it stopped. The switch in question is running 12.2(18)SXF17b (due to a legacy card I need to replace that isn't recognized beyond this release). I have several others with a pretty identical configuration (as far as I know) that accepted the change without issue.

Any hints as what to look for on this switch to determine why increasing the maximum IPv4 routes won't stick and causes it to reboot every 5 minutes? I suspected maybe it's short on some resources like RAM or something, but it seems to be identical to my working ones from all the show mls commands I'm checking.

Thanks!

-Vinny