[c-nsp] TAC hits a new record level of aggravation...

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Nov 4 22:28:01 EST 2013

On Nov 4, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
>> Because you can't ever be "done" therefore it needs a rewrite into the
>> cool new thing. Except Cisco's web team is somewhat behind; they're on
>> Java applets right now. Give them another 5-10 years to discover jQuery.
>
> And the cool new thing will never be 'done' either.  Perpetual development is often a bad thing because it leads to loss of focus, scope creep, and lots of other buzzwords that generally have a negative connotation. Cisco's marketing group having a bunch of 'innovators' they need to keep busy, and Cisco's web team having a bunch of developers that they need to keep busy is not a valid reason to innovate for innovation's sake.
>
> If Java is needed just to get basic communication between the TAC and myself (open cases, update cases, research contracts, download software, look up bug IDs, etc) working, they're doing it wrong.  All of those things are possible without having to add another layer of bloat to the stack.

What strikes me as incredibly odd about making this java-centric is that after the rash of java plugin vulnerabilities I have to imagine many corporate environments have completely rolled out a desktop policy that nukes the java browser plugin from orbit.  How many support customers must there be in a position where they simply cannot access TAC due to this change?  What are they doing, bringing in a laptop from home and opening cases at the nearest Starbucks?