[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 09:10:34 EST 2013

> On Nov 6, 2013, at 1:01 AM, "Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer)" <oboehmer at cisco.com> wrote:
>

>> IS-IS can scale to a larger number of devices in a single "area" and
>> overall network.  Really depends on how many devices you are talking
>> about.  For smaller deployments it usually comes down to who is supporting
>> the network and what they are more familiar with.
>
> I didn't want to chime into the usual OSPF vs ISIS debate, but the first
> statement is not (or at least has been for a while no longer) true. It
> comes down to feature availability (there are just some things which are
> slightly different, or are coming out at different times) and, as you
> rightfully say, your staff's familiarity with either.
>
>    oli

I was a little hesitant to put that in there but not being familiar with the newer software on these Cisco boxes I wasn't sure what kind of tweaks and features were in OSPF to enhance SPF like partial SPF, etc.   Obviously router CPUs are not what they used to be.  I have tested a number of boxes (not C) and found at their ultimate limit ISIS still performs better when network instability is present and in terms of memory use, but I consider those limits unrealistic in a production network.  Like thousands of routers in a flat area on a CPE node...

Phil