[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Thu Nov 7 04:38:22 EST 2013

Yup RFC 3107 is what I proposed but I guess some of the folks would try just
about anything to maintain the status quo instead of implementing separate
IGP domains and hierarchical MPLS across the globe and I certainly
understand why, I mean this could be a carrier changing project if not
executed seamlessly.
Inter-AS MPLS traffic engineering works just fine so the need for MPLS TE is
not a reason to avoid RFC 3107 in Inter-AS deployments.

Anyways with SR we could have the sub 50ms convergence times across ASNs
even with RFC 3107 underpinning them as we already discussed with Oliver
some time ago.
I just hope the section 3.3. of
draft-filsfils-rtgwg-segment-routing-use-cases-00 will be implemented.

I can definitely see BGP-LS maintaining LSDB for several millions of
prefixes replacing ISIS and OSPF altogether in ISP cores and large DCs.

adam