[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Nov 7 09:57:43 EST 2013

On 11/6/13 4:52 PM, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> Don't forget to use per PE/VRF RDs.
>
> re per PE RD's - So you are suggesting for each PE, I use unique RD's for a given VRF?  I could see this would assist with troubleshooting(Being able to see which PE a route originated from), are there any other benefits/why is this recommended?
(Disclaimer: coffee not brewed yet) At least with route reflectors and
possibly to some degree with confederations (see disclaimer), you lose
the ability to load-share to a prefix with non-unique RDs, as the RR
boils multiple paths down to one best path which is reflected to other
nodes.  The unique RD is embedded in the 96-bit vpnv4 route and
therefore the ingress node (potentially) can see multiple load-sharable
routes for which multiple outer labels can be rotated.

pt