[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Nov 8 00:54:35 EST 2013

On Friday, November 08, 2013 02:00:20 AM CiscoNSP List
wrote:

> How do larger networks deal with this situation? i.e.
> When you have multiple PE's terminating customer tails?

We dealt with this commercially.

We provided customers with a single uplink. Redundancy was
never a native part of the solution. If a customer wanted
redundancy, they paid for it. In such a case, we just
deliver to live links, and let the customer configure to
their pleasure.

If you offer protection by default, not only do you incur
the cost of maintaining a sane configuration, you also lose
what could have been extra revenue for a higher SLA.

Technically, MC-LAG looks good on paper. We deployed it once
on Juniper's back in 2011 (only they had it at the time),
and it wasn't without excitement.

As with you, I try to stray from non-standard, potentially
volatile deployments, especially in a multi-vendor network.
Probably why EEM has never tickled my fancy.

Mark.