[c-nsp] ISP / MPLS "POP" design

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 07:53:44 EST 2013

Like Mark mentioned the concept of stateful failure using virtual
chassis has been popular but nothing you listed supports doing that.
Making L2 terminations redundant is difficult, always has been without
doing something exotic. We do the VRRP thing in some instances, use
MC-LAG in others. In the past I have also used relatively inexpensive
optical failover devices. They are like an active Y-cable and switch
the signal when loss occurs, or you can do it manually during a
maintenance. That requires duplicate configs on both boxes. I don't
consider it scalable.

Most of the time though it involves the customer buying a second
circuit.