[c-nsp] Effect of simultaneous TCP sessions on bandwidth

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Nov 11 00:24:00 EST 2013

On Nov 11, 2013, at 5:32 AM, Octavio Alvarez <alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org> wrote:

> If you are trying to saturate the link in both directions each of the acknowledge packets will compete against the other stream and will have a hard time reaching back.

I first read this thread when I was half-asleep, stupid me - concur 100%, the performance is probably ACK-constrained in this scenario due to the traffic in the 'opposite' direction, as you wisely note.

It's easy to test this proposition - start the first session in direction A -> B, and then the second in direction B, and measure the results.  Then start the first session in direction B -> A, and the second session in direction A, and measure the results.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton