[c-nsp] Spanning-tree ports cost Formula

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:06:01 EST 2013

The newer versions of the STP standards (802.1D udpdated and 802.1W/S)
have updated path cost values to cover higher speeds.

10 Mb/s 2000000
100 Mb/s 200000
100 Gb/s 200
1 Tb/s 20
10 Tb/s 2

Cisco switches generally need a command documented in this article to
enable the 32-bit length cost values (versus the old standard 16-bit).
Juniper switches use the 32-bit values by default, not sure about other
vendors.  Even then the defaults are usually the old values to
interoperate with other switches.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/57598

Phil