[c-nsp] FHRP selection within Nexus

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 13 12:22:53 EST 2013

On 13/11/13 17:07, Blake Pfankuch - Mailing List wrote:

> I am weighing options between HSRP and GLBP knowing that GLBP is
> Cisco only.  This environment will be Cisco only for the foreseeable

HSRP is Cisco-proprietary as well. Only VRRP is actually cross-platform.

[Personally I feel your vendor loyalty is misguided; you should evaluate
all purchases on merit, not "It has Cisco written on it". But that's
your call...]

> on it.  Any issues or know bugs that have been hit related to GLBP?

On NX-OS 5.2 GLBP is IPv4-only, which is an annoyance. If you need IPv6
(and you should be doing IPv6) you should check into this. They might
have fixed it in 6.2 - not sure.

> With that in mind, would you as peers favor GLBP or HSRP?  I am
> looking at host dependent load balancing specifically to allow better
> traffic distribution cross sides of the datacenter, with times
> configured for 1 second hello and 4 second hold timers.

We use HSRP by preference. I like knowing which router is the active at
any given time - it aids troubleshooting, and we don't need the
performance of having both devices active.

If you need the performance, use GLBP. Otherwise use HSRP, because it's
marginally simpler and more common (therefore better tested).

Finally, since you're on NX-OS, you should also check into vPC and
dual-active HSRP. Personally I dislike vPC - it has too many moving
parts, and a list of caveats a mile long - but it might suit your needs.