[c-nsp] FHRP selection within Nexus

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Nov 13 14:03:18 EST 2013

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 05:51:15AM +1100, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> > How does that work?
> >
> > Have a read of
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572835-00_NX-OS_vPC_DG.pdf
> The bottom of page 24...
>
> HSRP
> The use of HSRP in the context of vPC does not require any special
> configuration. With vPC, only the active HSRP
> interface answers ARP requests, but both HSRP interfaces (active and
> standby) can forward traffic.
> If an ARP request coming from a server arrives on the secondary HSRP
> device, it is forwarded to the active HSRP
> device through the peer link.

"forwarding to the active HSRP device" and "only the active HSRP interface
answers ARP request" doesn't particularily sound "active-active" to me :-)

*This* is what happens on any 6500 that does HSRP on a SVI...

GLBP is active-active in that both L3 routers will accept packets to the
world, instead of L2-forwarding them to the other one inside the SVI.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de