[c-nsp] Third party transceivers that fail only with new, NX-OS 6.2.2a on sup-2E

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Nov 19 10:59:06 EST 2013

On 19/11/2013 13:54, Christina Klam wrote:
> We have been running 6.2(2) since the summer.  In the last six months, I
> had to return some third-party "Cisco compatible" twinax cables because
> they were "Invalid" on our M2s.  And, I just had to swap out some
> official Cisco SFP-10G-LR because they were "version 1" which also do
> not work with our M2 cards.

Can't say I'm surprised.  If Cisco is going to do stupid customer-hating
stuff like locking transceivers, they ought to expect to shoot themselves
in the foot from time to time.  Pity that it's the customers who end taking
the bullet though.

I would love to condemn the product managers who make this sort of
rage-inducing decision to an eternity of dealing with 02:00 maintenance
windows where you're stuck in a data centre with severe time constraints,
the network is down because of transceiver issues and you only have the
wrong brand of transceiver to hand, and there's no reason it shouldn't work
other than vendor politics.  <RAGE/>

Nick