[c-nsp] Cisco bug locator?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Nov 19 21:40:52 EST 2013

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> Does anyone have a current URL for the Cisco bug toolkit that works the
> right way around?
>
> The link on their website now only allows you to enter a bug ID.  I am
> looking for the original bug tool that is actually useful, where you
> specify the IOS version, platform, and nature of the bug, and it then
> gives you the bug ID.
>
> This one is kind of useless.
>
> https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch

Cisco has over the past years made their public bug information more and
more useless, mostly by not documenting their bugs publically in a useful
manner. That they would then cripple the search function would be no
surprise to me.

I have numerous times had to ask people within Cisco who have access to
their internal tools for clarification on bugs in order to actually gain
useful knowledge about what the bug actually is. I also had to numerous
times ask cisco to actually publish the bug at all, just to be able to
evaluate if a SMU should be applied or not. Yes, they released SMUs
without the bug ID the SMU fixed being publically available. This has
happened several times.

So complain to your account team and give feedback on their website. Only
by customers complaining will we see improvement.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se